Baking a trout in foil is perfect because you can keep all the moisture in the fish. This is a very basic recipe that can be adapted with different spices and herbs.
- 1 cleaned rainbow trout of 1 to 2 lb’s in weight
- 2 oz Butter
- slices of lemon or orange
- herbs of your choice (parsley, chives, oregano, basil)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 cup of white wine.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (360 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Line a baking tray with a sheet of aluminium foil and place the trout on top. I like to make some diagonal cuts in the fish flesh to encourage the flavours to be absorbed. Make a few diagonal cuts in the trout skin to help the flavours penetrate and then season inside and out with the other ingredients.
- Fold the foil over the fish to make a parcel. Try and fold the edges over to create a seal to retain the juices.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes (based upon normal trout fillets). The fish should be flaky, moist and no longer translucent. If cooking a whole trout (as in the image above), the fish will need to be in the oven for 35 minutes per lb.
This recipe works perfectly with sea bass as well.