Ingredients – (For the rainbow trout goujons and salad)
- 4 fresh rainbow trout fillets
- 75g of Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 handfuls of herb salad ( I like to include; chives, baby parsley and baby coriander, mixed with young lettuce leaves)
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- balsamic vinegar
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon wedges
- 3-4 heaped tablespoons of plain flour
- 1 large free-range egg beaten
- Sunflower oil for shallow fry
For the tartar sauce
- ½ teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon of white wine vinegar
- 1 free-range egg yolk
- 150ml/5fl oz vegetable oil
- ¼ lemon, juice only
- 1 hard-boiled egg, peeled, finely chopped
- 1½ teaspoons of chopped fresh tarragon
- 1½ teaspoons of capers
- 1½ teaspoons of chopped gherkins
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Method – (For this version of tartar sauce)
1. Whisk vinegar, mustard and egg yolk together until well combined (I tend to use a small food processor).
2. Slowly pour in the oil in a thin stream, whisking the miture continuously, until it forms a mayonnaise (sometimes the miture gets a little thick or begins to split. If this happens just continue beating and add a little water).
3. Once all of the oil has been added, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and add lemon juice, to taste. Stir in the rest of the tartare sauce ingredients. Chill until needed.
For the rainbow trout goujons with crispy panko breadcrumbs:
1. Take trout fillets and remove skin with a filleting knife and cut into goujons of desired size.
2. Put a dusting of flour on plate, beat the eggs into a bowl and place the panko breadcrumbs onto a separate plate.
3. Dip the rainbow trout goujons into the flour, followed by the egg and then finally roll in the panko breadcrumbs.
4. Heat a little oil in a frying pan, test the oil temperature with a pinch of breadcrumbs (they should sizzle and turns golden-brown). When up to temperature, fry the trout goujons for 3-4 minutes. You may need to do a few batches. Ensure the goujons are golden brown and cooked through (but not over cooked). Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon place on kitchen towel to dry.
For the Salad
Add a small pile of the herb salad leaves to the plate, drizzling with balsamic vinegar. Place quartered cherry tomatoes within the leaves
Place goujons on or around salad and drip with tarter sauce.
Hope you like this rainbow trout recipe!